Friday, October 2, 2009

Clarifications

From a recent experience I had, I realized that I may be slightly misunderstood, so I want to clarify a few things, and the more I read and learn, the more my opinions change, so next month all might be different, but right now these are the things I want to comment on:

1) I am under the care of a medical doctor, a neurologist, and I am doing the things he tells me to do. I feel it is important to track my condition and have medical guidance in what I do.
At my last appointment he said, "What you are doing is working, keep it up!"

2) The neurologist is the one who told me not to take the drugs for MS, for the sake of my unborn, or in my case, un-conceived baby. This opened the door for me to look at more. No one could make me sit on may hands with my fingers crossed, hoping I would be ok while I waited. I have learned so much now and am doing so much that I feel if I am doing well and my yearly MRI's come back with no new lesions then I feel no need to start the $1000/mo. injections that even my neuro calls toxic, but they are not out of the question.

3) I feel strongly that anyone in any condition should do their own research and work together with their doctor to incorporate what they found. I mentioned vitamin D to my neuro and he said, "Yes! I just read a study on how high doses of vitamin D have reduced occurrences in MS. But because the ranges were so varied, 4,000IU to 20,000IU, I set it aside." Wow! Here is a simple way to help people with MS and because he didn't really understand it he set it aside. He was more than happy to assist me in using this therapy though, because I brought it up.

4) I do not eat completely raw. I experimented with this and I feel healthier because of it, but because I didn't like many of the recipes I felt there were holes in my diet. I love cooked broccoli, but not raw, so I cook it and enjoy it. Mostly I am eating whole foods, with as little additives as possible and avoiding foods I feel I am sensitive to (gluten and dairy are the two main ones).

5) Diet is not the only thing I am doing. I take several supplements that double-blind, medical studies have shown to help (omega-3 oils, vitamin D, specific antioxidants), and I am seeing a wellness doctor who is helping me with emotional freedom techniques (which I feel got me through my miscarriage), heavy metal detox and immune support supplements. Curtis doesn't believe in a lot of the alternative stuff Dr. Babcock uses, but he cannot deny the results. I feel like a new person compared to just a couple of months ago and Curtis can attest to this.

6) The doctor clarified, at my last appointment, that I have not actually been diagnosed with MS yet. I have to have a second episode for that definite diagnosis. Well, I'm not wait around for that. I am doing everything I can to never have another. But only time will tell. He said on average episodes happen every 18 months. It will be years before anyone who has MS knows if what they are doing really works.

I know I'm babbling on, sorry, one more.

7) This goes along with #3. Medications alone with not stop MS. The meds only slow it (if they do anything at all for some, besides cause horrible side affects). I met a woman at a park with two young children the same ages as mine. She was using a cane and struggling to maneuver over the wood chips and failing to keep up with her kids (I caught one from falling off the play structure for her, she just couldn't be there with them). I was pretty sure she had MS and decided to talk with her. She said she had been on Copaxone for 2 years and it has worked great for her. She only recently started using a cane. In my mind, an episode once in 2 years isn't far from the average 18 months without meds. I would not be satisfied with a therapy that after only two years left me using a cane, but surprisingly she was. I asked her if she had tried any alternative therapies, she had honestly never even heard of them.
On a more personal note, I give my aunt Wendy as an example. She did all her doctor said, used Avonex for years and as we speak hardly has the strength the lift a fork to her mouth. This is someone I love, who lived with us and close to us, who came to Sunday dinner when she could. I guess my point is THERE HAS TO BE MORE, more that I can do.

I hope to never turn down a chance to learn and grow. I love all your support and advise.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it is great you are taking control and doing what you feel is best, and even better that you are seeing such positive results!!

sgosney said...

You are amazing. I think it's great that you are not willing to take this lying down, but you are going to do something about it. I have heard a lot about the benefits of eating raw since I talked to you- I probably just never paid attention before. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Julie Jardine said...

Keep it up! I think most people could change how they feel by giving up on a lot of the foods they like. My brother in law was told that he had high blood pressure, even though he was in shape and relatively young. They just tried to push the meds, but he refused to believe that it was beyond his control, and didn't like the idea of dealing with the side effects, so he changed a lot of his eating habits, which really worked for him. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It seems I learn about more and more people who are dealing with similar things. It is crazy, and I don't think we can ignor the connection to all the processed foods we consume. You are an inspiration! Thanks for being so open on your blog. I love to hear about what you are doing, and I have honestly tried to eat better just because of your blog. Thanks tons! I hope the best for you and your darling family!