Friday, February 11, 2011

An Early Valentine Present

I got out of the habit of wearing my wedding ring when my fingers swelled a little toward the end of Claire's pregnancy. When I couldn't find it off hand, I didn't get too worried because I knew it was in the house, I just hadn't looked hard enough yet. But then when I did look hard and then harder and then even when my mom and dad came over to help me find it and it was still missing, I came to the conclusion that I may never see it again. That made me really sad. It was an heirloom and very unique. I soon wrote this as a Facebook post:
Ode to My Wedding Ring: Oh how I miss you, your unique beauty, your sparkle, your symbolism. How I long to have you back again. A replacement will always be just that, a way to fill the empty place where you used to be. Come back to me please. I promise to never take you for granted again.
Thanks to the generosity of my mother and aunts, I was given my grandma's ring. It is simple but still meaningful and very low maintenance, I don't have to take it off all the time in fear of hurting it. For Valentine's Day we had it resized and shined up.


I love it and I love feeling married again.

2 comments:

Becca Curzon said...

It's lovely! Nice work. I'm glad that you'll feel married again. :)

Julie Jardine said...

Beautiful ring! That was sure a nice present. Sorry for your loss. Maybe it will show up some day in some random place. Until then, you have a nice ring.