Saturday, July 19, 2008

Holy Estrogen Batman!

We went on our 5th year anniversary date last night. Curtis found a buy one get one free deal on line for movie tickets and agreed to attend Mamma Mia! with me. We were sitting there thankful we had come a little early (we are used to the dollar theater crowds of 3-5 people). The theater was full and as we looked around 98% were female, but you didn't have to look around to notice that. A preview had a golden lab puppy running on the beach and the whole audience aaaaahhed in unison. As the first song of the show began most of the audience started to sing along. Curtis and I looked at each other, both thinking, "Oh no, what have we gotten ourselves into!" Surprisingly, the spontaneous singing did not continue.
The show was fun and just fun, you can't really take any of it seriously. We had a good time.
I didn't realized till we left the show that it was opening night for both Mamma Mia and Batman. That shows you how out of the movie loop I am. Seeing those hundreds of people sitting in the hall waiting to see a movie, knowing they paid at least $8.00 to see it left me with some really big questions. Maybe some of you can explain this, what I call, phenonomon.
Who has hours to sit and wait for a movie?
Do all these people really have $8.00 just begging to be spent on a movie?
Why do so many feel the need to spend so much time and money on a movie that if they just waited a month they could see it 8 times for the price they just paid and have their choice of seats?
Some may think I'm crazy for asking these questions, but I really don't get it. It's a movie. Oh, and don't get me started on sporting events. It's a ball. I don't care where it ends up.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

Sarah, I am not one to go to movies very often. I will go months without watching a movie. But occasionally I find myself wanting to see something bad enough to pay the $8 to see it. For example: I cannot wait to see the new batman. The Batman begins movie is one of my all time favorites. Plus we are big super-hero fans at our house. Also, When Twilight comes out in December, this is a movie I may even go see at midnight opening day. To me, dinner and a movie makes me feel young and carefree like when we dated. Do you remember that? Especially on a hot summer day, to sit in a theater that is set at 70 (not in my house set at 78 due to power bills) and enjoy a frivolous sprite and bucket of popcorn. Good times. Now, I hope I get to go see a movie soon!