Friday, June 5, 2009

The News

I am sure you are all wanting an update and I wish I had good news to share, but I don't. The neurologist basically just confirmed what I knew from knowing I have lesions. It is MS.

He said there are medications that can lessen the number of occurrences, but because we want to have another baby soon there is no point in taking any medications right now. He said the average time between attacks is about 18 months and pregnancy helps to keep them at bay, so we have sometime to research alternatives and really figure out what to do.

When contemplating this one night Curtis said, "You have always been the strong one." It is a shock to think that I won't always be and that I may not always be able to do all I want, but we have found it early and I have hopes of keeping disabilities far away, as long as possible.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. I have a long journey ahead, lots to learn and even more to come to grips with. I am trying to keep a positive out look. I hope I can do this, but of course I don't want to do it. Like my mom always says, "I can do hard things!" I know with love and support and the Lord I can do all things.

8 comments:

Lease said...

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. You'll be in our thoughts.

Becca Curzon said...

I'm not sure what to say, Only that I've cried for you repeatedly, and I'm sorry I'm not there for you, and you'll get through this, and I love you!

Given Family said...

Sorry to hear this. I just can't believe it that it could happen to somebody so young and so strong. You will be in my thoughts.

Linnae said...

You are loved Sarah!

Ginamarie said...

Sarah.

I am so sorry to hear the news. Please know that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do for you.

Trever and Heather said...

Yuck. I'm so sorry. They're checking my sister-in-law Michelle for MS this week too, her mom had it so she's quite terrified. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

sarahflib said...

Oh, Sarah. I'm sorry to hear that. Lately I've learned firsthand what it's like to find out that you or your kids have a big problem. I'll pray for you!

April said...

Sarah- this is April- you commented on my blog-...

listen, you can do this...you will soon find MS to be a blessing in your life as you start the journey of healing yourself and calling on the Lord ALL the time for help.

I have done a ton of research on diet and health...I choose not to take medicine either. I don't think I ever will. Like you said, stress is what triggers the ickies of MS.

You should buy the book "Healing Multiple Sclerosis" by Ann Boroch- I follow her diet with combination of Dr. Young's alkaline diet- he has an amazing green drink that makes me feel so wonderful...

Honestly I feel the best I have felt in so many years...I am thinking I maybe had it for a long time and didn't know it until my whole left side went completely weak for 2 months...I found out I was pregnant 1 month after my diagnosis- since then I have had maybe 3 episodes- mostly numbing...and FATIGUE like you wouldn't believe. So I am here for you. You can do this- your life will forever change- for the better- MS has been my gift. I am really starting to treasure my body and to connect with it more-

Yoga makes me cry sometimes because I feel that is so healing for my body- so good luck with the journey- I will follow your blog too. We can do this!