Monday, March 22, 2010

Baby Names

(I just realized this post makes it sound like we are having a boy. Just for your information, we have decided to make this baby a surprise, we won't know what we are having until we are holding him/her in our arms, at least that's the plan right now.)

We have had a girl name chosen for a while (Claire Rebecca). There are so many pretty girl names it is easy. But naming a boy is just so hard! Most names bring to mind an old man, a nerdy boy, or a mean bully. Last night I came up with a short list of qualifications for names that we will definitely follow. I really do not want to offend anyone, so I apologize ahead of time if I do, I just want to share my opinion.

1. If you can eat it, don't name your child after it. (i.e. Colby, Kale)
2. Destinations do not a good name make. (i.e. Austin, Phoenix, Paris)
3. Unisex names are just confusing, I don't want to put my child through that. (i.e. Jaden, Riley)

The Gibbys also have a rule of no weird names. I really don't want to miss out on Christmas presents because no one knows how to pronounce my child's name, so we are trying to find a name that is classic, but not overly used, not too nerdy, and not a fad name. Good thing we have more than 5 months to decide.

Right now we are leaning towards Seth. I love the name Everett after my great-grandpa, but Curtis says it's too weird, so it will probably end up as a middle name.

6 comments:

James said...

Issac - Natalia
Peter - Jacob
Alex - Sam
Noah - Sophie
Maher - James

Becca said...

Everett is a place in Washington just north of Seattle. Funny thing is I went there to visit Lee's friend Seth.
I like it fine. The fact that it is a family name of your grandpa is cool. Seth Everett Gibby, I think that keeps Christmas coming. Claire is good too.

I didn't know Laura was going to be called Lora. I guess you can never really win.

Marie W said...

Ah, we are facing the same conundrum. Why is it that boys are so much harder to name than girls?

amberandbyron said...

lucky for you your husband wasn't a "third" with an old mans name! Byron totally agrees with your number 3 rule...Seth is totally safe for spelling but Everett? could be spelled minus a t too. good luck

Julie Jardine said...

Oh, you crack me up! I love this post!

Given Family said...

congratulation.. didn't know. excited for u