Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Perks of Being Me


So because I have an awesome brother, I was able to go to the induction ceremony for the BYU Athletic Hall of Fame. Less than one percent of all BYU athletes are chosen for this honor. Not only did BYU fly Byron and Amber out, feed us dinner and honor Byron's awesome swimming career, we also got to go to the BYU football game. Here I am a BYU grad and I have never attended a BYU football game. I was forced to go to high school games for pep band, but that is the extent of any football game experience I have ever had. Traffic was horrible as 63,000 people made their way to the stadium, luckily we also got a parking pass. As honored guests we got to have lunch in the Legacy tent. I couldn't believe this tent, it was huge! We ate carved meat, BBQ chicken, a salad bar, and they had a chocolate fountain with all the dippables you could want! They had big screen TVs and free t-shirts and you could come and go as you pleased through out the game for hot dogs, popcorn and cookies. I guess it pays if you give big bucks to BYU football.
We had really good $60 seats and got to walk out onto the field during halftime when Byron was introduced as one of the new inductees.
I didn't understand anything. Byron had to tell me why everyone was cheering or booing. At one time BYU got penalized a time out. I was really confused about that. How were they going to make a whole team sit with their noses in a corner and were we really going to have to sit there and watch it? ---See I really was lost the whole game!
The stadium was packed and there were constant advertisements and giveaways, I had no idea. What a crazy spectacle--all those people paying a lot of money to see a ball be tossed and tackled!
It was great seeing Byron and Amber and Buddy (18 months and huge!).
On Wednesday we got tickets to the circus through Curtis's work, one of the perks we will miss about being media. We brought our neighbor Devin who is one of Audrey's favorite friends. They had a great time. I was a little disturbed by the risque, scantily clad dancers. This was for kids? It was like an introduction to a strip club (without the stripping of course). Does anyone else complain about things like that geared toward children and who do you complain to? At one point Audrey exclaimed, "Those girls aren't dressed!" They had gold (more like skin colored) spandex outfits. We probably would have felt like it wasn't worth our money if we had actually paid for the tickets, but the kids loved it and that's what matters. Elephants, clowns and acrobats, oh my!

No comments: