Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Compost Box

I plan on growing an organic garden next year and because I have so many produce scraps, I decided to make a compost box so I can add good stuff to this future garden.

After lots of thinking I came up with my own design. It was really easy and done in about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Here is what I used:
10 - 8 foot 2" by 2"s
4 - 3/8" by 3' rebar
1/2" drill bit
Hammer

What I did:
I had Home Depot cut the 2 by 2s in half, then at home I drilled a 1/2" hole about 1/2" from each end.
In the place I wanted the compost box I started stacking the boards onto the rebar, first the top and bottom and then the two sides, again and again until they were all used.
Then I pounded the rebar into the ground.
Voila! All done! How easy was that!

The kids loved helping me, next spring I will probably be ready to build another so I can rotate them.

2 comments:

Becca Curzon said...

You're so awesome Sarah! You want something, you go and get it done. It looks great.

Given Family said...

that's great Sarah. Wow. I'm impressed, but I shouldn't be as I know you are amazing. Our town here in AZ gives compost boxes for free if you ask for them. Not sure if they do that in UT too. So we requested and they gave us one. We kept it for a few months, but just last week, had to get rid of it as it was becoming a haven for bugs and it was a little too close to the house. So I hope you put yours as far away from the house as possible. I think part of the bug problem here is that it gets so hot here, so that could have been the root of our problem. not sure. Good luck with yours.